Daily Mobility Exercises by Dr. Kelly Starrett Forums General Chronic IT band/quad TIGHTNESS and knee pain (chondromalacia patella?) for 6 years! Re: Chronic IT band/quad TIGHTNESS and knee pain (chondromalacia patella?) for 6 years!

Participant

Quick update after my trip. As strange as it seems I had no noticeable pain during an 11 day ski expedition. Skiing every day except for one, big days with a lot of mileage(~10-15/day), vert, and steep bootpacking(kicking steps up couloirs) A little tightness, but nothing too noticeable.

Within a couple days of flying back to Anchorage and relaxing I started feeling tightness in my IT Band and slight lateral knee cap pain. Seems like when I am constantly moving it stops things from tightneing up, but as soon as I settle back into weekend warrior status the pain and tightness comes back. I feel like I am slowly getting better and learning how to manage it. But I am missing something that causes some pain and tightness to reoccur.

The pain is more of an annoyance now than being debilitating and stopping me from participating in the sports I’m passionate about. However, I’d like to fix it before it does any permanent damage.