The Ready State Virtual Mobility Coach is like having a virtual Kelly Starrett in your pocket.
04/25/2014 at 4:16 pm #70906
Good afternoon everyone! New MWod Pro member. I have watched the 3 TKE vids KStarr has about lack of Knee extension. Here is my situation and questions:
* 37 year old male very active (softball, Crossfit, basketball)
* When I was 17 (20 years ago..WOW) I tore my ACL/MCL playing basketball in high school. Had surgery and never could get my leg negative degrees. They could get it neg in therapy, but by the next morning it would be back positive degrees. Well it’s been like that for 20 years.
* My knee doesn’t bother me much, but after reading and watching MWOD, and buying Supple Leopard, I know I need to fix it
* Sometimes after hard running or hard workouts, it really bothers me and shoots up to postive, prob + 10 degrees for a few days, then goes back to about 2-5 degrees (guessing on degrees).
What have I done about it?:
* Bought Voodoo bands and retention band to floss like the vids show. This works for a little bit, then in a few hours it is back up again.
What should I do?? Any suggestions? How long should I floss? Should I do it everyday?
* Other info: I had an MRI a few years ago (bc I just knew since I couldnt get my leg straight, there was somethign wrong)..MRI was perfect. Nothing wrong structure wise.
Would love to here everyone’s thoughts
04/26/2014 at 12:54 am #74547
04/27/2014 at 11:43 am #74554Jeff ParkerMember
I had zero terminal knee extension when I began this journey, too…what I’ve learned so far is that the years of damage I have done to myself takes longer than anticipated to work these things outWhat works best for me is the couch stretch and the samson stretch with banded distraction. Those two exercises, specifically, have helped immensely and have given me terminal knee extension where I had noneI also had (unbeknownst to me) quad adhesions that weren’t allowing my quads to stretch to full capacity that were also keeping things too tight…once they popped themselves loose, I had more range of motionI spend about 4 minutes per side in the samson stretch really squeezing my glute and pressing my hip forward and 4-6 minutes per side in the couch stretch doing the same on a daily basis. Making my hip flexors, quads and hamstrings more mobile has really taken the stress off of my knees and lower back. Good luck to you!
04/27/2014 at 1:37 pm #74555
Shane thanks so much for the reply! It gives me hope hearing you have been down my path. I will incorporate these moves in and keep plugging away. Did you do any flossing with Voddoo?
04/28/2014 at 10:47 am #74557
i had the same issue following my last ACL surgery.
I still have some issues after hard workouts but i work on that leg 2x a day. Like Shane said, i found the couch and samson stretch with the distraction to be huge. Shane’s description is exactly what i do also, but i i’ll do a couple things first: I found that in my instance in particular, the satorious trigger point spots are the hottest for me and doing contract/relax with a supernova or foam roller is near immediate relief. That and tack/floss my hamstrings gets everything moving smoothly when i move on to the banded distractions.
In addition to all of that i extremely limit my sitting during the day. That hindered my recovery a lot following the surgery
04/28/2014 at 11:31 am #74558
Andrew thanks for the info…Do you floss using the Voodoo bands at all?
04/28/2014 at 12:39 pm #74559
yes. I find going through squat progressions with the voodoo bands in different locations (knee fully wrapped, high thigh, mid thigh) to be very helpful as well.
04/28/2014 at 8:37 pm #74563
Great info guys! You give me hope!
04/28/2014 at 9:39 pm #74564
Yeah man. Stay positive. Keep at it. I’ve had ACL’s done on both knees. One is fine and the other is troublesome. It’s frustrating but worth it in the end.
- You must be logged in to reply to this topic.