Daily Mobility Exercises by Dr. Kelly Starrett Forums General My only goal for 2021 is to sit half-lotus…and i’m far from it….help!

Viewing 4 reply threads
  • Author
      Participant

Greetings,

My only 2021 “fitness” goal is to get my very unsupple body supple enough that I can sit half-lotus or even burmese (knees on ground but feet not on knees) while meditating. Right now, when I try to sit cross-legged, my knees are at 45 degrees relative to the floor and my pelvis is tucked posteriorly (C-shaped spine). If anyone can point me to content on the site that could move me toward my goal, I promise I will adhere!

If you need any more info from my end to provide advice, ask away.

Much appreciation,
      Pat

Participant

Any suggestions on mobility routines to be able to sit cross-legged?

Thanks,
      Pat

Kaitlin LyonsKaitlin Lyons
      Keymaster

Where are you experiencing limitations when trying to do this?
      Have you done a search on the Virtual Mobility Coach archive to start addressing those areas?

What are you doing to address this situation?

Participant

Hi Kaitlin,

Thanks for the response. I have a couple limitations: primarily, when I try to sit cross-legged, I cannot get my knees to the ground; not even close. Additionally, when I sit cross-legged, my back tends to round. I’ve searched around the Virtual Mobility Coach archive, old MWOD videos, and Kelly’s books. The issue is that I don’t really know what areas to address to focus in and develop a program. Is it my groin, hammmies, or glutes that are causing the restriction? Or all of them and more? Does that help?

Thanks,
      Pat

Kaitlin LyonsKaitlin Lyons
      Keymaster

Hey Pat,
      It could be a combination.
      The first thing is to get started. It may not be exactly where to start, however, doing something is better than doing nothing so don’t be overwhelmed if you aren’t sure where to start.

Kelly touched on this during the August AMA.
      It is around the 9:00 mark

It is a hip flexion position.
      Are you working with hip flexion?
      There are several episodes on the Virtual Mobility Coach archive that address aspects of hip flexion.
      Working on the squat archetype is beneficial here. There is the 14 day squat mobility challenge. Think about completing that programming.

Are you addressing external rotation?
      Check out the pigeon episodes or the pigeon game.
      Frog and super frog will help.

Are you spending time in the lotus position?
      Spend time there to the best of your ability.

Some places to get started.
      Let us know how things are progressing with it.

Viewing 4 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.