Daily Mobility Exercises by Dr. Kelly Starrett Forums Knee 50 something female triathlete with OA in knee

Viewing 1 reply thread
  • Author
      Participant

Hi, I have OA in my knee as a consequence of ACL reconstruction 15+ years ago. I was a competitive runner in my 20s and 30s, then switched to Olympic triathlon in my mid-30s, and then switched to sprint lengths tris about 4 years ago. I’ve had a few acute episodes with my knee, where it gets painful, swollen, etc. and after these it sometimes takes months before I can run again. I have been told to avoid heavy lifts and deep squats, and looking back I think that some of my acute episodes came after I got too enthusiastic in the weight room. I do some kettlebell and TRX for strength, and biking and swimming are fine, but I am frustrated by not being able to run more and get faster. I almost always have some pain, although minimal, when I run and I am afraid of doing more damage. I have been taking tumeric based supplements and these do seem to help.

A lot of advice on knee pain seems geared toward managing IT band, etc. and not to account for aging joints. I don’t need to run long distances but I would like to build up to feeling strong in a 4-5 mile run. I’d love to hear what has worked for others! Thank you!

Kaitlin LyonsKaitlin Lyons
      Keymaster

Beth,
      Have you seen any improvements in your situaiton?
      Have you looked into any of the running specific mobility?
      Has anyone taken a look at your running mechanics?

Viewing 1 reply thread
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.