Daily Mobility Exercises by Dr. Kelly Starrett Forums Knee 10 min squat test / patellar tendonitis

Viewing 4 reply threads
  • Author
      Participant

I want to work towards the 10 min squat test but i have patellar tendonitis that gives me a sharp pain in the front of my knee in deep flexion, or the next day.  is this a good thing to work on that will actually benefit my tendonitis, or should i just avoid because it will aggravate?  Thanks!

Participant

thanks kaitlin – would you advise staying away from the 10 min squat test if its causing soreness the next day?  or work through?  appreciate all your help.

Alex–
      Can you have someone check your squat bottom position?
      When you squat if your first movement is knee forward instead of hips back this is an impacting factor.
      Build up to the 10 minutes. You could do 5x 2:00 with 1:00 rest between or 10x 1:00 with ;30 or 1:00 between.

Participant

Hey Alex,

Remember the golden rule of “if it feels sketchy its sketchy”. Like Kaitlin said, make sure you are loading the hips before the knees when squatting, and maybe take your squat test in doses. That tendon is hot, and its trying to tell you it’s under way more stress than it wants to be.
      Aside from cleaning up your movement errors, which probably resulted in the tendonitis in the first place, smash the hell out of your quads and feed some slack to that patella. Move better, take some tension out, and that should be a strong fix. However, if the fire doesn’t go out, you might need to seek treatment from a physio (etc.) to help speed along the tendon healing while you deal with the cause of the issue.
      A couple years before I discovered MobilityWOD I was sporting a nice double case of patellar tendinits, no doubt because I jumped around a lot and my mechanics were terrible. I’m talking sloppy jumps loaded with a barbell BAD. Pain free these days, but it was my first experience with a foam roller, and my quads were a mess. 
Viewing 4 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.