Daily Mobility Exercises by Dr. Kelly Starrett Forums General Chronic IT band/quad TIGHTNESS and knee pain (chondromalacia patella?) for 6 years! Re: Chronic IT band/quad TIGHTNESS and knee pain (chondromalacia patella?) for 6 years!

Participant

Went to go see the new PT again today, she thinks it’s an issue with discs near l1/l2.  The press-ups are definitely helping, if I feel tightness in my lateral knee I go do a pressup or standing back extension and am good to go for a bit.  My IT Band is the loosest it’s been in a long while when I palpate it.  She gave me some additional things to work on, including some movements to target right between the thoracic and lumbar spine.  Next step is to continue the pressups and other movements she gave me.  Trying to continue to stay out of flexion and the movements that are keeping my symptomatic.  She said if I can stay symptom free for a week we can start working on additional strengthening for my upper and lower back.  I never target the upper back.  But exercises that have targeted the lower back have seemed to help in the past.   She also had me practice keeping my transversus abdominis tight while doing bird dogs, which I don’t think I’ve done before. She taped my back again to remind me about posture.

I spoke with her about how many patients she sees that don’t complain of back pain but have other chronic ailments that stem from the lumbar spine.  She mentioned about a 1/4 of the people she sees have little to no back pain, but have issues that stem from the spine.  Kefu, you should try some press-ups for a couple days and see if they help at all.