Daily Mobility Exercises by Dr. Kelly Starrett Forums General Chronic IT band/quad TIGHTNESS and knee pain (chondromalacia patella?) for 6 years! Re: Chronic IT band/quad TIGHTNESS and knee pain (chondromalacia patella?) for 6 years!

Unknown user:

Thanks for the video.Very interesting. So according to the video a lack of transverse plane movement causes excessive frontal plane (swaying of the hips from side to side) and excessive sagittal plane movement (lordosis and kyphosis, anterior pelvic tilt) leading to IT band tightness and then knee pain. He brings up the point of doing SMR on IT band (without causing pain and discomforrt because this would trigger your kinetic chain to tense up and you wouldnt get effective release but also suggests that foam roller isnt enough) to help resolve the issue which I have been doing, and so far it hasnt resolved my issue. I have been rolling with foam rolling lately perhaps i switch to PVC pipe and lacrosse ball again.
Would exercise that activate and strengthen transverse plan movements address the cause? He makes it sound like that in the video.