Daily Mobility Exercises by Dr. Kelly Starrett Forums General Chronic IT band/quad TIGHTNESS and knee pain (chondromalacia patella?) for 6 years! Re: Chronic IT band/quad TIGHTNESS and knee pain (chondromalacia patella?) for 6 years!

Participant

Hey Kefu, I think you’re on the right track. Keep testing what works and change as needed to get results. After a couple sessions of doing some adductor strengthening I am feeling pretty good day to day. Tightness of my it band and lateral quad is no longer noticeable most of the time. I literally feel a release of tightness after I do some adduction, sort of like after a long stretch. I’ve been able to ride 20 miles with 3500 feet of climbing a couple times now without any pain after, the tightness returns just so I notice it, but goes away as soon as I start working my adductors. For me it makes sense that my adductors are much weaker. Skiing and racing a single speed mountain bike are all quad dominant activites. I overtrained on the single speed and it set off years worth of issues stemming from this imbalance. Not going to say I’m fixed yet, but pretty confident this may be a very big part of the puzzle. I was so focused on what everyone and the research was pointing to that I totally dismissed the thought of adding adduction.